** Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration nor is this dialog intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. **
As an aroma enthusiast who uses essential oils daily I am passionate about exploring the natural benefits of oils, how they can maintain healthy minds and bodies, help prevent illness and aid in recovery from ailments.
I am also someone who has witnessed my fair share of addiction, both in society and within my own family. Some cases more severe than others but addiction nonetheless. Recovering from an addiction can be a challenge, but there are many great resources available that can make the process easier and reduce discomforts to a minimum. Essential oils are one of those resources!
Essential oils are a gift from Mother Nature! Made from the oils of plants they are usually obtained by a distillation process, or separating the components via boiling. Used topically or as aromatherapy essential oils have a multitude of purposes and offer literally hundreds of health benefits for the mind, body and spirit.
To the brain, all addictions have similar damaging effects. Regardless of which substance a person is using, the body releases chemicals which give a “high” or feeling of euphoria but the pleasure or relief from pain is only temporary.
Addiction includes things like drugs, alcohol, tobacco, and pharmaceuticals. But it’s possible to be addicted to other substances like pop, sugar, candy, or food. There are also addictive activities like pornography, gambling, shopping or other habits that people develop a dependency upon. Substance abuse can lead to medical, psychological, legal or interpersonal consequences.
When an individual chooses to stop using substances and enter recovery, the body starts to experience physical and/or psychological discomfort such as headaches, nausea, sickness, cravings, anger or even more which can be unpleasant to say the least. Certain essential oils can be very useful in recovery to give emotional support and help reduce the many symptoms of withdrawal and strengthen an individual's desire to abstain. Essential oils are also beneficial in pain management.
The oils in our special blend were chosen specifically for their healing qualities that simultaneously help the many symptoms of the recovery process:
- Basil clears negative thoughts and helps restore mental energy.
- Bergamot is an anti-depressant, regulates appetites, relieves tension, breaks negative cycles, is uplifting and calming.
- Black Pepper reduces cravings, calms withdrawal anxiety, and increases Seratonin levels.
- Clove provides a boost to the immune system along with liver and brain system support.
- Chamomile soothes anger and irritability.
- Geranium offers a calming and grounding effect, and softens resentments.
- Grapefruit dissipates cravings, supports detoxification and renews energy.
- Helichrysum helps maintain a healthy metabolism.
- Marjoram offers calming properties.
- Orange, or most citrus, supports healthy immune function, is uplifting to mind and body.
- Rosemary reduces nervous tension and fatigue.
With the right combination - used regularly - essential oils can help meet the daily challenge of sobriety and help true healing begin, naturally.